The Trainee’s Prize
Prize Presentations by Trainees in competition for the Jackson Rees Medal
This meeting consisted of 8 presentations as follows:
1) Twenty-eight cases of failure to intubate in 8132 obstetric general anaesthetics over 22 years S S Tripathi, Arrowe Park District General Hospital, Wirral
2) Modified Pressure Leak Test to check Uni-directional Valves in circle system S. Oscar Fredy, Research Fellow, RLCH, Alder Hey
3) Risk factors for adverse events in children with colds emerging from anaesthesia: a logistic regression. J Rachel Homer BM BCh, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool
4) A randomised, crossover study of the Dorges, McCoy and Macintosh laryngoscope blades in a simulated difficult intubation scenario: Relevance to DAS guidelines D Sethuraman University Hospital Aintree.
5) Quality of Anaesthetic Services - a comparision between adult and paediatric satisfaction Ahmed Aziz, Mersey SpR
6) Post-discharge nausea and vomiting. Management after day surgery. Can we “predict” patients at risk? Michael Moneypenny, Mersey SpR
7) Audit of low flow anaesthesia practice, Ysbyty Gwynedd 2005 Madhu Adala, Department of Anaesthetics, Ysbyty Gwynedd.
8) Ultrasound assessment of endotracheal tube position in neonates. Radha Ravi, Fellow in Paediatric Anaesthesia, Alder Hey Hospital
The judges were Prof R.S.Jones, Dr R.Thornington and Dr J. Fazackerley. During the decision making of the judges, a film featruring an interview with Prof. Cecil Gray and Dr Jackson Rees was shown.
The decision of the judges was that in first place came Dr Ahmed Aziz who won the Jackson Rees Medal and a cheque for £250 and second place was awarded to Dr Rachel Homer with a cheque for £150.